Saturday, April 10, 2010

"To Each Her Own": Handbag: Private Property Please


With yesterday's post in mind, it may be appreciated by women (and a few men), to share some personal experiences with "mean girls".

It wasn't until I left private school to public middle school that I witnessed a girl who would use her fists for anything other than kneading dough. She was a classmate, I stayed clear. Thankfully, the school administrators intervened and put a stop to her violent behavior. Most of the students ostracized her for good reason.
Looking back, she had all the makings of a roller derby queen.

So, if you can't guess the time frame, think 1970's.
In the years since then, it seems bullying is weird kind of "rite of passage" for the unlucky few, both males and females. The lucky majority, who were neither victim or perpetrator, may have some other personal frame of reference for bullying.


Those who escaped a bully in school, surely know the variety in the workplace.
Most of my run-ins with mean girls were in the work environment, with girls long past their girlhood.
No doubt, these women were mean girls who never gave up their bad behavior.
The most insidious ones were mercurial: acting friendly early on. Later, they
set their targets on you. Usually, there was a promotion or some kind of power at stake, so they resorted to behavior associated with the term "sharks".

Who was it who said, "Sisterhood is dead whenever a man or a job is involved"?
Well, I am convinced. Not that I think the majority of my gender are of that "ilk", but it is a force to be reckoned with.

One memorable co-worker in particular, resorted to invading my privacy at work, by sneaking into my handbag. She found a one page, personal business letter, went to our employer and persuaded them to let me go. The invasion of privacy was one of many "dirty tricks" in this woman's bag. The firing was totally unwarranted, because there was no conflict of interest with their business, but they favored this woman over me. She had "bad hair", by the way, no beauty, in case anyone wondered.
In retrospect soon afterwards, I realized this "witch" had done me a favor.
Better things came my way.
Etiquette lesson: never invade another female's privacy, especially her
handbag.

Labels: , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home